Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Did Steve Jobs Kill the Music Business?

HuffPost.com-  "Kids today have missed the whole experience of putting the headphones on, turning it up to 10, holding the [album] jacket, closing their eyes and getting lost in an album; and the beauty of taking your allowance money and making a decision based on the jacket, not knowing what the record sounded like, and looking at a couple of still pictures and imagining it," Bon Jovi said (via MSN), thinking back to his record buying days. Then came the less fanciful: the blame.

"God, it was a magical, magical time. I hate to sound like an old man now, but I am, and you mark my words, in a generation from now people are going to say: 'What happened?' Steve Jobs is personally responsible for killing the music business."

So, as I'm listening to the Strokes' "Angles" streaming on my computer, I read this and thought, "Bon Jovi is definitely an old man, but I kind of agree with this."  We're all to blame though.  Around Brittany Spears' debut, I remember people buying singles instead of albums.  And with iTunes, the consumer is allowed to preview every song on an album and think, "You know, tracks 6-10 suck, I'll never listen to these, so why pay for them."  Is that the artist's fault for putting out a few shitty songs? Or is it the consumer's fault for not listening to the whole song in context with the entire album? Kind of like the chicken or the egg argument.

Either way, Bon Jovi can blame Steve Jobs for ruining the business.  I'm blaming Bon Jovi for ruining the bar scene with "Livin' on a Prayer" by allowing no-talent douchebags to scream, off-key, every time it comes on, while making stupid faces.  Hit the music....


No comments:

Post a Comment