Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Page Side Rage Side

Page McConnell is the piano/organ/keys for Phish. He's been the all-star in the band for the last two tours. I stumbled upon his thesis from Goddard School of Music. The whole thing is here, but this is an excerpt that makes one say, "Fuck Yeah!"

"Within weeks I began having musical experiences and feelings that I had never had before. The feelings could either be described as detaching myself from the conscious process of playing the piano, or totally attaching myself, becoming one with the instrument. I became able to hear music in my head and simultaneously be playing it. The breakthrough was a result of my ear training, the attitude I had
developed in Imagination, Awareness and Ideas, and the discipline of practicing every day. The process I am describing is similar to a process described in Eugen Herrigel's Zen in the Art of Archery when he tells of a swordsman that is learning to master his art:

'The pupil must develop a new sense or, more accurately, a new
alertness of all his senses, which will enable him to avoid
dangerous thrusts as though he could feel them coming. Once he 
has mastered this art of evasion, he no longer needs to watch
undivided attention the movements of his opponents, or even of
several opponents at once. Rather, he sees and feels what is going
to happen, and at the sane moment he has already avoided its effect
without there being "A hair's breadth" between perceiving and
avoiding. This, then, is what counts: a lightening reaction which
has no further need of conscious observation. In this respect at
least the pupil makes himself independent of all conscious purpose,
and this is a great gain.'

This book has proven to be the most valuable piece of literature I have ever read in terms of helping me gain an understanding of discipline and helping me define myself as an artist."

This is phish's cover of Led Zeppelin's "No Quarter".  It doesn't show McConnel's technical prowess, but rather his creativity covering this song by plugging his vocals through his Fender Rhodes to rip it. The video also gives you a good sense of what it's like being at a show.

No comments:

Post a Comment