Thursday, July 21, 2011

Happy 112th Ernie :)

I was introduced to Hemingway by the family dog.  True Story.  He was an Irish Setter named Ernie after Ernest Hemingway.  My parents got him off one of Norman Mailer's ex-wives who couldn't take care of him.  What a weird world, huh? 

The master of prose. Ernest Hemingway was the first author I really got into when I had to do book reports, etc in middle school. Most people [my age or younger] find him boring because of the style, but I think it's beauty in its simplest form.  He once said, "All my life I've looked at words as though I were seeing them for the first time."  Some people will never understand the passion of that statement, but that's their loss.  Hemingway also credits another one of my favorites, Mark Twain, the master of satire, as an influence, once saying, "All modern American literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called Huckleberry Finn."  It's too bad he had a history or alcholism and suicide in his family, but he was prolific in his time with us.  Check out some his best quotes below.  (photos via aconverationoncool)


“Everything about him was old except his eyes and they were the same color as the sea and were cheerful and undefeated.” ~ The Old Man and The Sea.

Some additional favorites:
"About morals, I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after."
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
"Cowardice... is almost always simply a lack of ability to suspend functioning of the imagination."
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another."
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." 

No comments:

Post a Comment