Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Friendly Fenway

Petey, Jacoby, Salty, Crawford
& Son
Wise man once said, "It's not what you know, it's who you know." Here's an example. I get some Red Sox tickets through a co-worker.  These things had been passed around a few times, but I hadn't been to a game in a while so I took them. My brain started working overtime as soon as they were in my hand. 

So I started doing what I do best. I talked to people. My friend and I got put in touch with a very high-ranking Red Sox employee who couldn't have been more accommodating. He took us on a private tour of the entire place. We go down for batting practice, hang in the dugout, watch home runs sail out of the park from the Green Monster, etc. Cool stuff. David Ortiz even came over and signed balls for us, which the executive told me was "extremely rare". 
Big Papi is a leisuralite. 

I needed some food before the game. Something close, quick, and delicious. Basho on Boylston is the play. It seems like most sports fans now are obese, chicken-finger inhaling slobs, which is ironic considering that they are attending an athletic event. So while they're crowding around in Friday's, my friends and I downed cucumber martini's [Ketel 1, Sake, basil, lime, and Thatcher's Cucumber] and rolls. I don't care if it's an atypical Red Sox dinner, I had an outdoor table overlooking Fenway and no one trying to waddle around me for a PBR Tall Boy. 

Got into the game and the seats were great. Just off home plate, towards third base, overlooking the skyline. It doesn't get much better.  Until the executive sends us a text telling us to come up to the owner's box!

Box View
Jackpot. Huge spread of food, leather couches and flatscreens, outdoor cushioned seats, a fridge full of delicious brew, and...a private bathroom with flatscreen so we didn't miss any action.  As the great Ric Flair once said, "Woooooooooooooo!"


Sox lost 9-5, but it was the best loss I've ever witnessed, which proves "there are no such things as strangers, just friends you haven't met yet." 

Thanks Tim ;)  
Pics: 
Cuc Martini and Tuna Tartar @ Basho
Say what you want, it was delicious!
Papi gave me his Herbie Hancock

No comments:

Post a Comment