Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Rum & Marley :: These are-ah 2 of my favorite things...


Chris Blackwell, founder of Island Records, spread Reggae music around the world. Esquire's Taylor Adams briefly interviewed by [read in full here] about his new Jamaican Rum. Some of Mr. Blackwell's musings:

"All businesses, in a way, are pretty similar. You gotta have a good product, know you have it, and deal with people honorably."

On Jamica: "I love the country. It's really beautiful, and the people are extraordinary. They're very bright, have a great sense of humor, and they're very creative...Go out and meet the people. Go to a little bar, or go to a little restaurant, or travel around. This is counter to how a lot of the tourism had been in Jamaica. It had a bad reputation, but I think things are much better."

On Bob Marley: "I met him in 1972. By then, he'd become quite well-known in Jamaica, but he was considered a rebel and an impossible person to deal with or negotiate with. It was because he was, to use the title of one of his own songs, standing up for his rights, and it was a very corrupt business in Jamaica at that time. I just felt, when I saw him, that he could be a big star. I felt that he really just had it. And I took a risk. I bounced him money without a contract, because I felt like the best way to show I could be trusted was to trust him."

Can't wait to try a bottle and crank up some "Easy Skankin" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment