Thursday, March 29, 2012

Springtime Cannoli Cake

The other day I was trying to come up with a dessert to serve my beloved. His favorite sweet treat is a cannoli while I love anything in cake form with cream cheese frosting. I decided to combine these two concepts into one super simple treat. Instead of making cannoli dough and frying it, I chose to make only the filling and spread it over a slice of pound cake (you can use homemade or store bought…I chose the latter!) For this cannoli “icing” I just mixed a bit of mascarpone and ricotta cheese together and added a touch of confectioners sugar (I don’t like it too sweet), vanilla and orange zest. For extra pop I topped the cake off with fresh rasberries, the colors were amazing! You could also use strawberries, blackberries, preserved lemons or any bright fruit you love. Want to take it to the limit? Just slightly toast the pound cake slices before topping with the filling…It is sooo good! -Christine


Ingredients (Time: 15min, Serves 4-6)
  • 1/2 cup mascarpone
  • 1 cup ricotta
  • 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 orange, zested
  • 1 pound cake, (I liked Whole Foods ready made pound cake!)
  • 1 cup fresh rasberries (or any berry you like)
Instructions
  1. In a bowl add the mascarpone and ricotta cheese
  2. Whisk together in a bowl until well combined
  3. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and whisk well
  4. Add the orange zest and mix in
  5. Taste it! If you want it sweeter, add more sugar, if you want more vanilla add some!
  6. When you’re ready to eat, slice up the pound cake (toast it if you have time)
  7. Spread the cannoli filling over the cake and top with fresh berries
  8. Yum!
The Leisure Study's resident chef, Christine Collins, is freshly imported [via interweb] from The Cedar Kitchen in Phili. If you're in the area and hungry, hire her!

No comments:

Post a Comment