Friday, December 16, 2011

How to Get the Best Shave

For too long, I've seen too many guys with razor bumps and ingrown hairs bulging from their necks and thought, "ouch". It isn't as though these gentlemen are in a defined age range either. I remember years ago, a friend asked me how my face was always clean-shaven without having neck bumps. I told him I just started. We were both 25 and he didn't get my sense of humor. 


I was 12 or 13, on vacation with my family in Florida, and noticed I had an inordinate amount of fine, blond hair on my face. I remember thinking, "How long is this going to get before I have to ask? Is this going to turn dark? I think it comes back dark after a few times. What if they laugh at my request?"

I finally manned-up and asked my Dad if he had an extra razor. He handed me a shitty, double-blade disposable, told me the Barbasol was on the sink, and to rip a corner of toilet paper off and stick it to my face if I cut myself. Pretty anticlimactic. 16 years later and I can report it hasn't grown back that much darker or fuller, which is a blessing or a curse depending on how you look at it. 

Instead of another childhood anecdote, lets go to the tape! This is the most concise, yet informative tutorial on how to get the slickest shave of your life with little irratation:

© Equinox Gyms/Kiehls

A few key points. Skip the shaving stuff at the drug store. For $10, get something like Proraso Shave Soap. It has eucalyptus oil and menthol, which sounds dreamy, I know. It allows for a super-close shave, leaves your skin feeling clean and refreshed, and a tub of the stuff last forever. Shave after the shower and, when you're finished, blast your face with cold water. Both steps are key for your pores. Always put a lot of moisturizer on your face afterwards as well. All the aforementioned steps should kill your ingrown hairs and razor burn. 


If you're a beard-grower for the season. Great! Buy a trimmer for $20 (or ask for one for Christmas) and fade that bitch! Set it to the longest setting you desire [i.e. 5], trim entire face. Click down one setting [4], trim from above the adam's apple to underneath the chin and jawline. Click down one more [3], trim everything below/side of adam's apple. DO NOT! Shave your neck clean up to your jawline, leaving a beard to just cover your face, especially if you're heavier. This will make your face look fat. 


It's your face. [Usually] The first thing people notice. Do what you want with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment