Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Ultimate Mint Julep :: Kentucky Derby 5.7.11


Bill Samuels' Maker's Mark Mint Julep Recipe to get you ready for Derby celebrations! (Note: this recipe is not for the faint of heart)
  • 3 ½ cups Maker’s Mark
  • 3 oz Maker’s Mark
  • Lots of fresh spearmint
  • 1 cup Distilled water
  • 1 cup Granulated sugar
  • Powdered sugar
Wash about 40 mint leaves and place in a mixing bowl. Cover with 3 oz Maker’s Mark and soak for 15 minutes. Then gather the leaves in a cotton cloth and wring over the bowl of whisky. Dip again and repeat.

Prepare simple syrup by mixing a cup of granulated sugar and a cup of water in cooking pot, heating to dissolve the sugar, stirring constantly. Add to the 3 ½ cups of Maker’s Mark.

Add the mint extract 1 tablespoon at a time to the julep mixture, tasting and smelling after each one is added to check for a soft mint aroma – usually about 3 tablespoons.

Refrigerate the mixture for at least 24 hours.

If you can get a hold of some shaved ice that is preferred, if not just regular ice will work, fill each glass half full, insert a sprig of mint, and then pack more ice to about an inch over the top of the cup. Insert a straw and then pour the julep mixture over the ice, topping it with a sprinkle of powdered sugar. Enjoy.

*Sounds like a lot of work to me. But the last time I hosted a Derby Party, I passed out before the race even started, leaving my roomates with a bunch of guests they didn't know.  I eventually awoke to my roommate pounding on my door, demanding I "stop being a bitch and rally", and finally making me do a kegstand to shock me back into coherence.  Good thing he did, I ended up winning the Derby Pool!  Unfortunately, I missed calling in my lucky number horse (who happened to be at 50-1 odds) and it won! Fuckin' 50 to win 2500. Nice job asshole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment