Saturday, June 16, 2012

Ancho Chile Short Ribs

Since TLS is back, I'm hungry. And so is my Dad. So resident chef, Christine Collins of the Cedar Kitchen (in Phili), has offered up this simple, meaty gem. I think I'm doing this on the grill tomorrow for the final round of the US Open. 
Here is how this whole thing got started… I knew I wanted to grill red meat, I knew I wanted something spicy, and I also knew I wanted it cheap! I decided I would make carne asada (basic translation: grilled meat) served with corn tortillas and a simple guacamole and salsa. When I got to the grocery I checked out the prices at the butcher, and guess what was the cheapest cut of meat? …Boneless short ribs! Woo hoo! I think people get nervous BBQ’n short ribs, but it’s pretty much just like any other steak. The great thing is it’s almost fool proof because it’s hard to overcook these suckers! They need a bit more time on the grill, which takes the pressure of you worrying about the perfect timing to flip it (awesome!) To make the marinade I used a dried ancho chile (which my lovely friend Ketki had left me!) it really added a smoky and spicy element to everything. The key is toasting up the peppers and then soaking them in hot water for about 10 minutes. Then all you need to do is blend them with some lime juice, cilantro, garlic and a little bit of onion – done! The ribs came out juicy and tangy with a little bit of heat…it was like cutting through warm “meat butter!” …Mmm…meat butter…. -Christine 
Click Here for the Ancho Short Ribs Recipe. Cheers! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment